Opening Linked Workbooks from Summary

  1. #1

    Opening Linked Workbooks from Summary

    Hi Everyone!
    I have a summary workbook which links to 6 other workbooks which all have different passwords to open them. I want to be able to open the summary workbook and update the links without having to type in all the passwords for each linked workbook. I was told the best way is to run a VBA script to open each linked workbook with its associated password. Can someone please help me out with the code. I am still learning VBA and any help is greatly greatly appreciated. Where do I start?

    Thanks,
    Julie

  2. #2

    Re: Opening Linked Workbooks from Summary

    Saved from a previous post:

    Untested.

    Maybe you could have a helper workbook open your workbook and not update the
    links.

    Then it could open each of the 14 other workbooks (the links should refresh when
    the workbook opens), then close that workbook and open the next.

    Kind of like this:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim myFileNames As Variant
    Dim myPasswords As Variant
    Dim iCtr As Long
    Dim myRealWkbk As Workbook
    Dim myRealWkbkName As String
    Dim wkbk As Workbook

    myRealWkbkName = "C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls"

    myFileNames = Array("C:\my documents\excel\book11.xls", _
    "C:\my documents\excel\book21.xls", _
    "C:\my other folder\book11.xls")

    myPasswords = Array("pwd1", _
    "pwd2", _
    "pwd3")

    If UBound(myFileNames) <> UBound(myPasswords) Then
    MsgBox "check names & passwords--qty mismatch!"
    Exit Sub
    End If

    Set myRealWkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=myRealWkbkName, UpdateLinks:=0)

    For iCtr = LBound(myFileNames) To UBound(myFileNames)
    Set wkbk = Nothing
    On Error Resume Next
    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=myFileNames(iCtr), _
    Password:=myPasswords(iCtr))
    On Error GoTo 0

    If wkbk Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "Check file: " & myFileNames(iCtr)
    Exit Sub
    End If

    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
    Next iCtr

    End Sub

    (I got bored after 3 workbooks. You may want to test it with a couple to get it
    going.)