VBA 2003 cut/copy | paste values only

  1. #1
    Jeff Higgins
    Guest

    VBA 2003 cut/copy | paste values only

    How to allow cut/paste, copy/paste the cell values only; no formatting like
    borders, colors, etc.

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: VBA 2003 cut/copy | paste values only

    Use Range("B1").Copy to copy then use one of the following to paste:

    Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues

    Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

    HTH Otto

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jeff Higgins
    Guest

    Re: VBA 2003 cut/copy | paste values only

    Otto,
    Thank you for your quick reply. I'm sorry but I didn't sufficently
    explain my situation.

    I have a protected sheet which contains 4 ranges that are unlocked so that
    the user can enter values. I would like to allow the user to select cells in
    the unlocked ranges and use the main menu, or shortcut menu selections:
    Edit|Cut or Edit|Copy and then Edit|Paste to cut or copy / paste within these
    ranges. Unhappily, all the formatting goes along with the cut or copy to the
    clipboard and then messes up my "pretty" formatting. For instance, one of the
    unlocked ranges is bordered around with a thick border, if the user makes a
    selection along the bordered edge and then pastes into the middle of the
    range, the thick border comes along. Likewise, if the user selects cells and
    then uses cut, the pretty green background color of my range becomes a gaping
    white hole.

    I hope this explains my request a little better and that you might have a
    suggestion to help me.
    Thank you,
    Jeff Higgins

  4. #4
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: VBA 2003 cut/copy | paste values only

    Jeff
    I gave you a programming solution because your query is posted in the
    programming newsgroup. I see now that your problem relates to manually
    working with the worksheet.
    Do this. Say you want to copy A1 to E1 and you don't want to disturb the
    formatting of E1 with that of A1. Select A1 and do Edit - Copy or do a
    right-click on A1 and select Copy from the shortcut menu.
    Select E1 and do Edit - Paste Special and select "Values" from the
    dialog box. Click OK. Does this do what you want? HTH Otto

  5. #5
    Jeff Higgins
    Guest

    Re: VBA 2003 cut/copy | paste values only

    Otto,
    Again, thank you for your reply I appreciate it very much. Apparently I
    have made a mess of the few posts I have made here. I suppose I didn't know
    myself what I wanted to accomplish. Unhappily no one else here could read my
    mind (or posts) and tell me what I wanted to do. I have come up with a
    solution, I don't know if it the easiest or most appropriate, but it seems to
    work. I've left out all of the copy/paste code here, but you can probably see
    what I'm after.

    Thanks again
    Jeff Higgins

    A class module named "EventClass" contains:

    Public WithEvents App As Application
    Public WithEvents CutMenuCommand As Office.CommandBarButton

    Private Sub CutMenuCommand_Click(ByVal Ctrl As Office.CommandBarButton, _
    CancelDefault As Boolean)
    CancelDefault = True
    Call Sheet1_OnCut

    A standard module named "WorksheetFunctions" contains:

    Public AppClass As New EventClass
    Public CmdBars As CommandBar

    Public Sub Init_Workbook()
    Set AppClass.App = Application
    Set CmdBars = AppClass.App.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar")
    Set AppClass.CutMenuCommand = CmdBars.Controls("&Edit").Controls("Cu&t")
    End Sub

    Public Sheet1_OnCut()
    MsgBox ("Cut menu_item Clicked")

    "ThisWorkbook" module contains:

    Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
    If AppClass.CutMenuCommand Is Nothing Then
    Set AppClass.CutMenuCommand =
    CmdBars.Controls("&Edit").Controls("Cu&t")

    Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate()
    If Not AppClass.CutMenuCommand Is Nothing Then
    Set AppClass.CutMenuCommand = Nothing

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Call Init_Workbook

    "Sheet1" module contains:

    Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
    If AppClass.CutMenuCommand Is Nothing Then
    Set AppClass.CutMenuCommand =
    CmdBars.Controls("&Edit").Controls("Cu&t")

    Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()
    If Not AppClass.CutMenuCommand Is Nothing Then
    Set AppClass.CutMenuCommand = Nothing

    'Disable Edit|Cut / Edit|Paste operation in the sheet named "Sheet1"
    'In case I've missed any toolbar/menu options that will cause
    Cut/Copy/Paste
    If AppClass.App.CutCopyMode = xlCut Or AppClass.App.CutCopyMode = xlCopy
    Then
    AppClass.App.CutCopyMode = False
    AppClass.App.CellDragAndDrop = False