how do I enter a square feet symbol in excel?

  1. #1
    summerlane
    Guest

    how do I enter a square feet symbol in excel?

    how do I enter the small '2' as a symbol for 'square feet' in microsoft excel?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    If you are using this as a calculation entry, use the carat (^) [shifted number 6] e.g. "equals 4 squared" would be =4^2

    If it is a text entry, as in "16 square feet", enter "162 feet", then in the formula bar, highlight the '2' and choose Format>Cells from the main menu. On the Font tab, tick the 'superscript' option and click OK. The result will be "16-2- feet" with the -2- as the small, raised squared sign.

    Of course both of these apply to any power as well.

    HTH

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: how do I enter a square feet symbol in excel?

    Highlight the 2
    Click on <Format><Cells><Superscript><OK>
    Job done

    Although you will see the 2 as superscript in the cell in the edit line (if
    you don't edit directly in the cell) it will appear as ordinary text. Yet
    another anomaly from Mr Gates.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    SRS
    Guest

    Re: how do I enter a square feet symbol in excel?

    One other option is to use the shortcut code which is available in most
    applications.

    The "code" for the small 2 is: Alt + 253 (be sure to hold down the alt
    button while typing in 253)

    So your number would look like this: 125²

  5. #5
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS

    "swatsp0p" wrote:

    > If you are using this as a calculation entry, use the carat (^) [shifted
    > number 6] e.g. "equals 4 squared" would be =4^2
    >
    > If it is a text entry, as in "16 square feet", enter "162 feet", then
    > in the formula bar, highlight the '2' and choose Format>Cells from the
    > main menu. On the Font tab, tick the 'superscript' option and click
    > OK. The result will be "16-2- feet" with the -2- as the small, raised
    > squared sign.
    >
    > Of course both of these apply to any power as well.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Bruce
    >

    > --
    > swatsp0p

    > swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467857

    This is a good tip (if one can remember the ASCII codes for these things). Note that the numbers must be entered through the numeric keypad, not the top row of numbers on the keyboard for this to work. Of course, this type of entry is also treated as text and cannot be used for any calculations.

    Bruce