Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

How do I show a percentage in Excel? Or do a simple subtraction?

  1. #1
    Doug Wilson
    Guest

    How do I show a percentage in Excel? Or do a simple subtraction?

    I'm making a spreadsheet showing every mortgage payment I make split into:

    Payment Taxes Insurance Interest
    Principal Balance

    Based on the fixed payment amount every month, the fixed Tax and
    Insurance amounts every month and the difference in Balance from payment to
    payment, calculating what percent of the payment and the dollar amount that
    went to interest and what percent of the payment and the dollar amount that
    went to pricipal is pretty remedial - but I can't find the function to insert
    under Interest and Principal to calculate it. Somebody please help??

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Have a look here: http://www.hull.ac.uk/ict/excelxppercentages_128.pdf You will need Adobe Reader (free) to view the file that explains percentages. Or you could search for these keywords: Calculating financial percentages excel

  3. #3
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: How do I show a percentage in Excel? Or do a simple subtraction?

    Assume
    F2 = starting balance of say 10000
    a3 = fixed monthly payment of 500
    b3 = fixed monthly tax payment of 50
    c3 = fixed monthly insurance of 25
    d3 = interest calculation = 0.07*F3/12
    e3 = principal repayment = A3-B3-C3-D3
    f3 = balance of principal left =F2-E3

    You can extend the formula's down using the right hand bottom corner of the
    cells and drag down.

    first months' result is interest 58.33
    principal 366.67
    balance 9633.33