FORMAT SECTIONS OF CELL FORMULA DIFFERENTLY

  1. #1
    Takeadoe
    Guest

    FORMAT SECTIONS OF CELL FORMULA DIFFERENTLY

    My cell formulas have gotten fairly complex and I was wondering if
    there is a way to perhaps format sections of the formula differently to
    make it easier to read. For example, maybe bold everything before the
    "+" and underline or something after.

    My gut feeling is the answer is no, but it never hurts to ask.

    (((PHYD0181-((ASMP01 WNRL_)*HYD0181))*(ASMP01 PHMYD_))*(ASMP01
    SNHMAD_)) +

    ((PHAD0181-((ASMP01 WNRL_)*HAD0181))*(ASMP01 PHMAD_))*(ASMP01 SNHMAD_)

    Related to this, is it possible to add CR and LF characters to a cell
    formula? It would help if I could break the formulas at the "+" sign,
    for example.

    Any help is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: FORMAT SECTIONS OF CELL FORMULA DIFFERENTLY

    Takeadoe wrote:
    > My cell formulas have gotten fairly complex and I was wondering if
    > there is a way to perhaps format sections of the formula differently
    > to make it easier to read. For example, maybe bold everything before
    > the "+" and underline or something after.
    >
    > My gut feeling is the answer is no, but it never hurts to ask.
    >
    > (((PHYD0181-((ASMP01 WNRL_)*HYD0181))*(ASMP01 PHMYD_))*(ASMP01
    > SNHMAD_)) +
    >
    > ((PHAD0181-((ASMP01 WNRL_)*HAD0181))*(ASMP01 PHMAD_))*(ASMP01 SNHMAD_)
    >
    > Related to this, is it possible to add CR and LF characters to a cell
    > formula? It would help if I could break the formulas at the "+" sign,
    > for example.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.

    AFAIK the only thing you can do is to break your formula with ALT + ENTER...

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: FORMAT SECTIONS OF CELL FORMULA DIFFERENTLY

    With a formula, you cannot format the separate parts differently. You can, however, have the two
    results appear on separate lines: Format the cell alignment for wrap text, and use a formula like:

    = (((PHYD0181-((ASMP01 WNRL_)*HYD0181))*(ASMP01 PHMYD_))*(ASMP01
    SNHMAD_)) &CHAR(10)& ((PHAD0181-((ASMP01 WNRL_)*HAD0181))*(ASMP01 PHMAD_))*(ASMP01 SNHMAD_)

    Of course, that will result in the formula result being a string.... probably not what you want, but
    just thought I would mention it.
    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Takeadoe
    Guest

    Re: FORMAT SECTIONS OF CELL FORMULA DIFFERENTLY

    I'll settle for ALT-ENTER. Thank you FRANZ!