How does Excel add 1 month to a date?

  1. #1

    How does Excel add 1 month to a date?

    I'm trying to understand how Excel adds 1 month to a date, and how to
    correct for it with a formula. I saw a formula for this online, but
    now I can't find it.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How does Excel add 1 month to a date?

    Hi!

    Try this:

    A1 = 6/28/2006

    To add 1 month:

    =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,DAY(A1))

    Returns: 7/28/2006

    The Date function is also smart. The year, month and days will automatically
    roll over dependent of each other. For example, suppose you want to add 1.5
    years to a date. That's 18 months. You could do this:

    =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,MONTH(A1)+6,DAY(A1))

    Or, you could do this:

    =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+18,DAY(A1))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bobocat
    Guest

    Re: How does Excel add 1 month to a date?

    edate function
    =edate(start_date, 1)

    <[email protected]>
    ???????:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: How does Excel add 1 month to a date?

    I'm using the first formula you wrote about
    "=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,DAY(A1))".

    If I start with the date 1/1/06 and add 1 month I get 2/1/06, but if I
    start with 1/31/06 and add 1 month I get 3/3/06, so I am wondering how
    I fix this in the formula. I've seen this done and can't find it.

  5. #5

    Re: How does Excel add 1 month to a date?

    I'm trying to do this without using Edate since it requires the add-in
    and this will get sent to end users that don't have that available.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How does Excel add 1 month to a date?

    Try this:

    =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,MIN(DAY(A1),DAY(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1+1,0))))

    If A1 = 1/31/2006 the formula returns 2/28/2006.