How can I determine cell color?

  1. #1
    Naum
    Guest

    How can I determine cell color?

    I am color blind (to same extent). Sometimes I need to determine what is cell
    (or font) color in an existing worksheet. I would like to be able to
    right-click on a cell and see what is its background color. Or right-click on
    a letter/digit in a cell and see what is font color and background color. I
    assume that does NOT exist now. How can I deliver my request to the Excel
    development group?

    If you respond, PLEASE notify me at [email protected]

    Thanks
    Naum

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How can I determine cell color?

    Add this sub

    Sub ColorIndex()
    Dim msg As String

    If Selection.Cells.Count > 1 Then
    MsgBox "Too many cells selected", vbExclamation, "ColorIndex"
    Else
    MsgBox "Active cell colour is " & ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex,
    vbInformation, "ColorIndex"

    Then create a right-click menu option with

    '-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    '-----------------------------------------------------------------
    With Application.CommandBars("Cell")
    With .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, temporary:=True)
    .Caption = "Color"
    .BeginGroup = True
    .Style = msoButtonCaption
    .OnAction = "ColorIndex"
    End With
    End With
    End Sub

    'This is workbook event code.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: How can I determine cell color?

    How many color blind Excel users are there out there?
    It's conceivable that someone might take it on themselves to
    write an Excel add-in, to identify colors (by index and name), and give it away.
    But there would have to be some indication that demand exists.
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  4. #4
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: How can I determine cell color?

    No demand at all has appeared. But not being deterred by facts
    when you want to do something, I have written an Excel add-in that
    might help some Excel users.
    It adds a menu item to the popup menu that appears when a cell
    is right-clicked. The menu lists the cell color, font color and cell location.

    If anyone would like to try the add-in and provide any comments or
    suggestions about it, my email is: [email protected]XX
    (remove xxx from the address)
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA