Excel cannot open email program.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Excel cannot open email program.

    I often use "file.. send to... mail recipient" to send a spreadsheet as text
    in the body of an e-mail.

    I prefer that to sending excel as an attachment, since my recipients may not
    have excel and usually don't need to see formulas.

    On my new computer however I get the message "excel could not open the
    e-mail program" if I try the first option above.
    Both excel 2002 and outlook 2002 are working fine. I "repaired" office
    just to be sure. Still doesn't work.

    Only difference is that the computer came with a trial version of office
    2003 which I don't need.

    Should I uninstall the trial version? Or is there some other fix?

    barry milliken

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    Hi Barry

    See number 3
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm

    Error <Excel could not start the E-mail program>
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828509

    If you want to send the selection in the body of the mail in Excel 2000 or 2002.
    (File>Send To...Mail recipient or use the E-Mail button on the Standard toolbar)
    And have Outlook 2003 as your default mail program then
    Excel will tell you this <Excel could not start the E-mail program>

    The Outlook version and the Office version must be the same to send
    in the body of the mail.

    Note: as a workaround you can use my Body Examples
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/mail2.htm
    Or
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/mail4.htm

    Or use my SendMail add-in for Outlook
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/add-in.htm

    > Should I uninstall the trial version? Or is there some other fix?

    I think after that you must reinstall install 2002 also

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    Thanks but,

    I only use Outlook 2002 and excel 2002.
    Outlook 2003 and excell 2003 were installed as trial versions on the
    computer but I don't use them.
    The "set program access and defaults" dialog gives me 2 choices for
    "default" email:
    1. Use my "current" e-mail program. (which is selected.)
    2. Use Outlook express.

    So how do I set Outlook 2002 instead or 2003 as my "current" and therefore
    "default" email program.
    I'm caught in circular logic between "current" and "default".

    Barry

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    If fact Office 2003 is not really "installed" yet.
    If I try to start Outlook 2003 if firsts asks for product key.
    At this point I canceled.

  5. #5

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    Just a guess, but since you don't use office 2003, you could try uninstalling
    it--via control panel's "add or remove programs".

    Then I'd try reregistering excel:
    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    (I think I'd do this with the other programs in the Office suite--or reinstall
    OfficeXP????.)

  6. #6
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    I tried everything you suggested:
    - uninstalled office 2003
    - repaired office 2002.
    Again i'm using 2002 version of both excel and outlook.
    Still get "Excel could not start the e-mail program" error message when you
    use the Send To mail recipient.
    This worked on my old computer.

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    I tried the The /unregserver & /regserver to no effect.
    I had previously uninstalled office 2003.

    I see no fix other than to buy and use Office 2003.
    However in all the info on 2003 I see no features that I care about. (They
    seem mostly about collaboration.)
    I run a single user home business. All the collaboration I need is e-mail.

    Barry