Excel cannot open email program.

  1. #1
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Excel cannot open email program.

    I often use "file.. send to... mail recipient" to send a spreadsheet as text
    in the body of an e-mail.

    I prefer that to sending excel as an attachment, since my recipients may not
    have excel and usually don't need to see formulas.

    On my new computer however I get the message "excel could not open the
    e-mail program" if I try the first option above.
    Both excel 2002 and outlook 2002 are working fine. I "repaired" office
    just to be sure. Still doesn't work.

    Only difference is that the computer came with a trial version of office
    2003 which I don't need.

    Should I uninstall the trial version? Or is there some other fix?

    barry milliken

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    Hi Barry

    See number 3
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm

    Error <Excel could not start the E-mail program>
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828509

    If you want to send the selection in the body of the mail in Excel 2000 or 2002.
    (File>Send To...Mail recipient or use the E-Mail button on the Standard toolbar)
    And have Outlook 2003 as your default mail program then
    Excel will tell you this <Excel could not start the E-mail program>

    The Outlook version and the Office version must be the same to send
    in the body of the mail.

    Note: as a workaround you can use my Body Examples
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/mail2.htm
    Or
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/mail4.htm

    Or use my SendMail add-in for Outlook
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/add-in.htm

    > Should I uninstall the trial version? Or is there some other fix?

    I think after that you must reinstall install 2002 also

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    Thanks but,

    I only use Outlook 2002 and excel 2002.
    Outlook 2003 and excell 2003 were installed as trial versions on the
    computer but I don't use them.
    The "set program access and defaults" dialog gives me 2 choices for
    "default" email:
    1. Use my "current" e-mail program. (which is selected.)
    2. Use Outlook express.

    So how do I set Outlook 2002 instead or 2003 as my "current" and therefore
    "default" email program.
    I'm caught in circular logic between "current" and "default".

    Barry

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    If fact Office 2003 is not really "installed" yet.
    If I try to start Outlook 2003 if firsts asks for product key.
    At this point I canceled.

  5. #5

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    Just a guess, but since you don't use office 2003, you could try uninstalling
    it--via control panel's "add or remove programs".

    Then I'd try reregistering excel:
    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    (I think I'd do this with the other programs in the Office suite--or reinstall
    OfficeXP????.)

  6. #6
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    I tried everything you suggested:
    - uninstalled office 2003
    - repaired office 2002.
    Again i'm using 2002 version of both excel and outlook.
    Still get "Excel could not start the e-mail program" error message when you
    use the Send To mail recipient.
    This worked on my old computer.

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    And you did go back to MSIE and try changing the default email client to
    Outlook, right?

    I'd try changing to OE, then apply, then change back to see if that helped.

    But these are just guesses. I don't know the solution.

  8. #8
    barry milliken
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    I tried the The /unregserver & /regserver to no effect.
    I had previously uninstalled office 2003.

    I see no fix other than to buy and use Office 2003.
    However in all the info on 2003 I see no features that I care about. (They
    seem mostly about collaboration.)
    I run a single user home business. All the collaboration I need is e-mail.

    Barry

  9. #9
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot open email program.

    Hi Barry

    Have you check your win.ini file
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm
    Number 2

    > I see no fix other than to buy and use Office 2003.

    install my mail add-in and use that for sending in the body