Basic Pivot Table Questions

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Basic Pivot Table Questions

    Two basic questions:

    In my pivot table I click on the "Data" box to get a pop-up window of the possible fields I can filter. By default "show all" is checked. If I go through and uncheck some fields, hit "OK", only those fields are displayed. When I click the "Data" box again, only the fields that I filtered to appear, and even when I hit "Show all", I cant seem to get back that full original list. How do I do this?

    Also, is there an easy way to add a customized "group" to this list? For example if I have 30 fields, and regularly want to see the first 10, could I add a selection titled "1st10" to automatically grab the first 10? Seems I only have the choice to select all or individual, and cannot make a custom list.

    Final question, could I create a filter with additional logic? Such as 'if category starts is "R"'. Looking for something that allows wildcards, similar to custom option with auto-filter in excel.

    I am obviously quite new with pivot tables, if someone could answer these questions I appreciate it, would also like a good link to learning specifically about pivot tables.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Basic Pivot Table Questions

    Unlike Row or Column field items, if you deselect an item in the Data
    dropdown, it's removed from the pivot table, and from the Data dropdown
    list. To see it in the chart again, you can drag it back from the Pivot
    Table Field List.

    You can't group the data fields, but you can group items in the row or
    column fields.

    You can't filter a pivot table the same way you can filter using
    AutoFilter. In the next version of Excel, more filtering options will be
    available:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...20/506172.aspx

    There's pivot table information and links here:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures