vlookup-o populate sections of a second sheet

  1. #1
    Marc
    Guest

    vlookup-o populate sections of a second sheet

    Hello -

    I think this is a vlookup question, but it may be more than that.

    On one sheet I have two columns. Column a is used for 1,2,3 ect. Column B
    is a list of menu items.

    I want to populate sections of a second sheet with the items from the first.
    1 would be for appitizers, 2 for main course, 3 for dessert, etc. My
    stumpling block is the number of items will vary.

    So in summary I need to look up multiple results from a lookup.

    I hope I have been detailed enough so one or more of you talented excel
    people can help.

    I do appreciate everyones time and effort.

    Marc

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    re: vlookup-o populate sections of a second sheet

    If those three items appear in your table in the columns after your reference
    then VLOOKUP would be correct.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

    The column index number would probably be 2, 3, and 4
    as 1 would be the value you look up be sure to use False..

    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    Marc
    Guest

    re: vlookup-o populate sections of a second sheet

    Hi David,

    Thanks for your response. I will have multiple entries of 1 2 and 3 etc.
    that I want to populate the second sheet. I want to lookup all instances of
    1 2 and 3 etc.

    Thanks for your time.

    Marc

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    re: vlookup-o populate sections of a second sheet

    Hi Marc,
    From your answer it seems that you probably don't have your answer.
    If the multiple entries 1,2,3 are not pulled from the same row in
    corresponding columns (probably +1) then I guess you would be
    talking about a double lookup and for that you would use INDEX
    and MATCH an example is near the end of my vlookup.htm page
    and references there to Chip's pages (cpearson.com) and probably
    a couple of others.
    ---