Setting the number of decimal places for a text box.

  1. #1

    Setting the number of decimal places for a text box.

    Hi All,

    I have a user form and on that form is a text box. Data from a cell on the worksheet is read into that text box and the user can observe it.

    A simple calculation is done on the cell before it is read into the text box. This produces a number with a large number of decimal places. Even though I set the number of decimal places of that cell to 2 (via right clicking on the cell and selecting "Format Cells...") the number read into the text box still displays all the decimal places.

    Could anyone tell me how I can set the number of decimal places of the text box itself?

    Best Regards,

    Aaron

  2. #2
    Henry
    Guest

    RE: Setting the number of decimal places for a text box.

    Try adding this to your formula:

    =ROUND((your formula),2)

    It will round your result to 2 decimal places.

  3. #3
    Thanks for your reply, but the calculation is done in VBA not in the cell that the data is read from. Is there a way of rounding numbers in VBA, I tried but can't seem to find a way.

    Best Regards,

    Aaron

  4. #4
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Setting the number of decimal places for a text box.

    Excel 2000 and later has a VBA Round function. It does ASTM rounding (rounds
    to nearest rounded value, with ties [exactly 5] rounding up or down to make
    an even number).

    In earlier versions (or to always round 5 up) you can call the worksheet
    Round function from VBA by either
    Application.Round()
    or
    WorksheetFunction.Round()
    The former former will work in all versions of Excel that support VBA. I
    believe that the latter was introduced in Excel 97, but has the advantage of
    prompting you with possible worksheet functions that can be called in this
    way.

    Jerry