Help with Group/Ungroup

  1. #1

    Help with Group/Ungroup

    Hi all,

    I have a sheet with 305 rows with data associated with each row in 10 columns. I highlighted approximately 100 of the rows. I would like to calculate summary numbers for the total sheet (305 rows) and also for the highlighted 100 rows. The highlighted rows are not consecutive, so there are unhighlighted rows in between the highlighted ones.

    I thought about grouping the highlighted rows, but I'm not sure how to write a formula for only those rows. For example, I would like to use the =count() to count how many total rows there are and also how many are highlighted. How would I go about doing this?

    I know I can just have 2 sheets - one highlighted and one total, but I would like the flexibility of having all the data on 1 sheet if possible.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Help with Group/Ungroup

    What do you mean by "highlighted". Is there some common feature of the
    highlighted rows? Can a formula be written to identify the selected rows?
    Can you identify the highlighted cells with a value in an adjacent column (a
    helper column)? We will need a little more information to be able to help?

    --
    Ian

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply and I apologize for not being clear.

    "Highlighted" just means that I have colored these rows with a color to distinguish them from the others. Each row represents a product. I have "highlighted" the about 100 of the products. I would like to be able to write formulas that only pertain to these 100 products. Unfortunately, there are no common features of the highlighted rows. They represent specific products that I would like to group together and spike out from the overall product mix.

    Will you please show me what you mean by adding a helper column? That might do the trick, but I'm unclear how to go about achieving this.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Help with Group/Ungroup

    OK. You mentioned 10 columns of data and 305 rows. If the columns are A-J,
    then in column K type X in each row you want to highlight (and calculate
    on). I'm also assuming rows are 1 to 305. Change the rows and columns if
    necessary.

    To count the number of rows highlighted =COUNTIF(K1:K305,"X")
    To add the values in column C for rows highlighted
    =SUMIF(K1:K305,"X",C1:C305)

    --
    Ian