How do I sort or count cells by fill color?

  1. #1
    Rob
    Guest

    How do I sort or count cells by fill color?

    I have a spreadsheet that contains pasted data from an online database. The
    imported cells are color coded with RED, YELLOW, and GREEN fill. I would
    like an automated way to calculate the number of RED, YELLOW, and GREEN cells
    in the data. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort or count cells by fill color?

    Hi

    Have a look here:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort or count cells by fill color?

    Chip's site will give you everything to do that. For grins, here's my shot
    at it. Adjust to suit your range.
    Will not work if color is from conditional formatting.

    Sub ColorCount()
    'Counts the number of colored
    'cells in a range named Data.
    Dim Blue5 As Integer
    Dim Red3 As Integer
    Dim Green4 As Integer
    Dim Yellow6 As Integer
    Dim Cell As Range

    For Each Cell In Range("Data") '("B1:F11")
    If Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 5 Then
    Blue5 = Blue5 + 1
    ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3 Then
    Red3 = Red3 + 1
    ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 Then
    Green4 = Green4 + 1
    ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Then
    Yellow6 = Yellow6 + 1
    End If
    Next

    Range("A1").Value = Blue5 & " Blue"