Formula assistance

  1. #1

    Formula assistance

    I am having difficulty devising a formula that works. What I need is a
    formula that will round time up or down to the nearest quarter hour. For
    example, if a person were to enter 4:06 PM I need a formula that would
    calculate 4:00 PM; or if they enter 4:11 PM it would calculate 4:15 PM.

    Also I have another question, what is the difference in the cell format
    settings of h:mm and [h]:mm. I am using the first (h:mm) for doing
    calculations with times.

    I appreciate any assistance that anybody can offer, if you need more info
    please let me know.

    Thank you,

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Formula assistance

    With the time entered in A1

    =ROUND(A1*96,0)/96

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Formula assistance

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:50:30 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >I am having difficulty devising a formula that works. What I need is a
    >formula that will round time up or down to the nearest quarter hour. For
    >example, if a person were to enter 4:06 PM I need a formula that would
    >calculate 4:00 PM; or if they enter 4:11 PM it would calculate 4:15 PM.

    =ROUND(A6/TIME(0,15,0),0)*TIME(0,15,0)

    >Also I have another question, what is the difference in the cell format
    >settings of h:mm and [h]:mm. I am using the first (h:mm) for doing
    >calculations with times.

    Without the brackets around the h ( [h] ), if hours are greater than 24, the
    display will "roll over". So you could never display more than 24 hours.

    >I appreciate any assistance that anybody can offer, if you need more info
    >please let me know.
    >
    >Thank you,

    --ron

  4. #4