Excel Association Broken?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Al Franz
    Guest

    Excel Association Broken?

    My problem is that if I click on an Excel File in Windows Explorer (i.e.
    File Browser) Excel opens up but it does not open up the file. Somehow my
    association is messed up, not sure what is causing this.

    I can go into Excel and open files from the FILE OPEN menu command though.

    Using the latest Excel and WinXP. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Timothy L
    Guest

    Re: Excel Association Broken?

    One way is to reinstall Microsoft Excel (or Microsoft Office) through the Add or Remove Programs Control
    Panel.
    Another way is to select Help -> Detect and Repair... in Microsoft Excel OR by going through the Add or Remove
    Programs Control Panel.
    Both ways take some time to complete.

    If need this done quick, here is how:

    Method 1:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.

    2. Type "excel.exe" (without quotes)

    3. Type a space followed by the "/regserver" switch (without quotes).

    The text box should look something like this:
    excel.exe /regserver

    4. Now click the Open button (OR hit the Enter key on your keyboard) to run Microsoft Excel with this command
    line switch.

    If you get an error that states "Cannot find the file..." or "Windows cannot find...", use Method 2.

    Method 2:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.

    2. Click Browse.

    3. Locate the Office folder, click the excel.exe file, and then click Open. The excel.exe file is located in
    the following folder by default:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
    It is also possible that the excel.exe file could be found in the following folder depending on which version
    of Microsoft Excel (or Microsoft Office) you have:
    Microsoft Excel XP (2002) or Microsoft Office XP (2002): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10
    Microsoft Excel 2003 or Microsoft Office 2003: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

    Note: The path to excel.exe is enclosed in quotation marks.

    4. Click in the Open box, and then reposition the insertion point outside of (to the right of) the closing
    quotation mark at the end of the path statement.

    5. Type a space followed by the "/regserver" switch (without quotes).

    Depending on your version of Microsoft Excel, the text box should look something like this (with the quotes):
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe" /regserver
    OR this
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE" /regserver
    OR this
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /regserver

    6. Now click the Open button (OR hit the Enter key on your keyboard) to run Microsoft Excel with this command
    line switch.

    This will start Microsoft Excel in the background, make changes to the Windows registry, and then quit. This
    will force a re-register of Microsoft Excel in the Windows registry.

    Method Notes
    If you put the switch inside the closing quotation mark and then click OK, you receive one of the following
    error messages:
    Cannot find the file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe /regserver' (or one of its
    components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.
    -or-
    Windows cannot find 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\excel.exe /regserver'. Make sure you typed the
    name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

    Please note that this only applies to the full version of Microsoft Excel.

    If you are using the Microsoft Excel Viewer, you'll need to reinstall it.

  3. #3
    Al Franz
    Guest

    Re: Excel Association Broken?

    Tim,

    Thanks for the note. But I was able to fix the behavior by going to
    Tools/Options/General Tab and turning off "Ingore other applications". Not
    sure why that fixes this behavior but it does. Found some other newsgroup
    notes on this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

    --Al

    news:[email protected]...