Time to miles per hour

  1. #1
    Dale
    Guest

    Time to miles per hour

    I have a spreadsheet that holds times for various biking trips. One column
    has the overall time, formatted for time (e.g.- 5:48:00). The next column
    has the distance in miles. The third column has a formula that is
    Time/distance. I get the time it takes to travel a mile. How do I convert
    that to miles per hour? Thanks

    Dale

  2. #2
    Bruce Sinclair
    Guest

    Re: Time to miles per hour

    In article <BF29234A.3A1B0%[email protected]>, Dale <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have a spreadsheet that holds times for various biking trips. One column
    >has the overall time, formatted for time (e.g.- 5:48:00). The next column
    >has the distance in miles. The third column has a formula that is
    >Time/distance. I get the time it takes to travel a mile. How do I convert
    >that to miles per hour? Thanks

    ...and how many times can you travel that mile in an hour ?

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

  3. #3
    quietning
    Guest

    Re: Time to miles per hour

    hello Dale,

    I got an idea,try this:
    column A time
    column B distance
    C D E F
    speed time hour minute second
    =B2/D2 =E2+F2/60+G2/3600 =hour(A1) =minute(A1) =second(A1)

  4. #4
    quietning
    Guest

    Re: Time to miles per hour

    hello Dale,

    I got an idea,try this:
    column A time
    column B distance

  5. #5
    DR
    Guest

    Re: Time to miles per hour

    After Friday's ride, I think one of the miles is enough!!!
    "Bruce Sinclair" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Dale
    Guest

    Re: Time to miles per hour

    Thanks so much. I got it to work using the hour, minute, second formulas. I
    had to rethink how I manually calculated the mph, then it was pretty simple.
    You learn something new everyday, and this was it! Again, thanks.

    Dale

  7. #7
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Time to miles per hour

    =distance/time/24
    or
    =distance/(time*24)
    and formatted at a number. Excel times are stored as a decimal fraction
    of a day (time displays are handled by formatting), so you have to
    distance/time gives miles/day, so you have to convert it to miles/hour.

    Jerry

  8. #8
    The Netherlands

    Thumbs up My calculation

    Hi,

    I did it the following way:

    DISTANCE/(HOUR(X) + (MINUTE(X)*100/60)/100

    1. DISTANCE is the cell containing your travelled distance
    2. you devide the distance by the following:

    X is the cell containing the time you filled
    so:
    (HOUR(X) + (MINUTE(X)*100/60)/100

    I use it in the sheet I have loaded in my PDA when I go on vacation, I have include fuel consumption and time going form A - B thus calculating also the mean speed, etc.

    I hope it helps,

    Hans