why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a file?

  1. #1
    Beezie
    Guest

    why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a file?

    Excel creates copy after copy of the same file! It doesn't open multiple
    copies, just lists them - makes looking through my excel directory for a
    partoicular file extremely slow.How can I stop this?

  2. #2

    Re: why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a file?

    I've never seen excel do this.

    What do those 18 file names look like?

    Any chance you have a "helpful" addin that's not working correctly?

  3. #3
    Beezie
    Guest

    Re: why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a fil

    Thanks for your reply, Dave. In a sample file entitled "MH1", the filenames
    look like this:
    Copy (2) of MH1
    Copy (3) of MH1
    Copy (4) of MH1
    and so on up to 30 copies (of each file) at last count!
    I also get copies of copies, e.g.
    Copy (33) of copy of MH1
    I've checked the "save" options in case I had indavertently ticked
    something, but no.
    Deleting the copies does no good - they just replicate.
    Beezie

  4. #4

    Re: why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a fil

    The only time I've seen that is when I've used windows explorer to copy|paste
    the file within the same folder.

    I'd close excel and reopen in safe mode.
    windows start button|run
    excel /safe

    and test it out a bit.

    My bet is that you won't see the problem.

    I'm guessing that you have an addin that's helping you.

    Close excel and open it normally.

    Look in tools|addins and uncheck all the selected items (keep track of what you
    did).

    Now close excel and look in your XLStart folder for workbooks that load when you
    start excel. Move all those workbooks to a nice safe location.

    Now reopen excel and see if the problem still exists.

    If it's gone, then one of those things you turned off/moved could have been the
    culprit.

    Start adding them back one by one--and restart excel after each. See when the
    problem comes back. Then you've got the problem. The solution will will depend
    on whether you can just keep that turned off or if you can find the developer to
    turn off that feature.

    Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

    And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

  5. #5
    Beezie
    Guest

    Re: why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a fil

    Thanks, Dave - I'll try this and let you know! I did look in "add-ins" and
    there are none....

    Beezie

  6. #6
    Beezie
    Guest

    Re: why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a fil

    Did this, but the files appeared even in safe mode. There are definitely no
    add-ins.
    It's a mystery - but thank you very much for your efforts.

  7. #7

    Re: why does excel create multiple copies (as many as 18) of a fil

    I still don't think it's excel--but it can't hurt to reregister excel.

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    =======
    Do you have any other programs that run that could be making backups of your
    files? Kind of like how an antivirus program will look for viruses, this
    program could be making a backup of each file you open.

    (I've never seen anything like this either--but who knows....)