comparing excel spreadsheets from command line

  1. #1
    grahamo
    Guest

    comparing excel spreadsheets from command line

    Hi,

    I am running tests here that involve comparing two excel spread sheets.
    right now we have to manually open the files, copy and paste the contents of
    each into a separate too, and run a compare. This is time consuming as it
    involves an awful lot of manual intervention. Ideally, I would like to run
    some sort of command that takes the two files as params and which outputs
    (preferable in some sort of graphical format) the differences between the two
    files. Is that possible? Or am I asking too much?

    thanks much and have a nice day

    Graham

  2. #2
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: comparing excel spreadsheets from command line

    hi,
    see this site.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...#InOneNotOther

    FSt1

  3. #3
    grahamo
    Guest

    RE: comparing excel spreadsheets from command line

    thanks for that. i checked the site but couldn't see anthing there. I'd like
    to do the comparison from the command line if possible, outside of excel. Any
    ideas?

  4. #4

    Re: comparing excel spreadsheets from command line

    Excel's file format is way too complex for me to do something like this.

    Any chance you could have a macro that asks you for the two filenames and then
    does the work to dump to a plain text file.

    You may be able to use some of Chip Pearson's techniques at:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm