How do I merge two columns without losing data?

  1. #1
    Caseybay
    Guest

    How do I merge two columns without losing data?

    If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column
    feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the
    merge?

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: How do I merge two columns without losing data?

    One way

    =CONCATENATE(A1,B1)

    Ian
    ---

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: How do I merge two columns without losing data?

    =a1&b1
    or
    =a1&" "&b1

    (use a helper column of formulas.)

  4. #4
    Urbie
    Guest

    Re: How do I merge two columns without losing data?

    this worked fine - however, if i delete the original columns i get an error
    that the reference data is gone.....and i only want to work with the new
    column i tried copying and pasting to new worksheet but that didn't work
    either. what to do?

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I merge two columns without losing data?

    Urbie

    Copy>Paste Special>Values>OK>Esc.

    Then delete the original columns.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP