chart problem

  1. #1
    geepeetee
    Guest

    chart problem

    Hi

    We are tryng to create a simple chart for my daughters homework. It is to
    show the resistance in relation to the length of a piece of wire, a line
    graph is needed showing the plotted (slightly curved) line and a line of
    best fit.

    The data is:

    resistance length of wire
    0 0
    0.10 10
    0.23 20
    0.35 30
    0.50 40
    0.60 50
    0.70 60
    0.80 70
    1.00 80

    When plotted it shows 2 lines (although they dont look identical to the
    school example), but stranger still it has changed the values.

    Can anyone advise me how to do this, i am sure its simple stuff.

    cheers

    Gary

  2. #2
    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)
    Guest

    Re: chart problem

    geepeetee wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > We are tryng to create a simple chart for my daughters homework. It is to
    > show the resistance in relation to the length of a piece of wire, a line
    > graph is needed showing the plotted (slightly curved) line and a line of
    > best fit.
    >
    > The data is:
    >
    > resistance length of wire
    > 0 0
    > 0.10 10
    > 0.23 20
    > 0.35 30
    > 0.50 40
    > 0.60 50
    > 0.70 60
    > 0.80 70
    > 1.00 80
    >

    > When plotted it shows 2 lines (although they dont look identical to the
    > school example), but stranger still it has changed the values.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to do this, i am sure its simple stuff.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Gary

    ----------------------------

    Right click on the chart you made and select "Chart Type". My guess is
    that you've told it to create a line chart, so since you've given it two
    data series it plots two lines. You need to select the "XY (Scatter)"
    chart. Then make the first data series the X data and the second the Y
    data.

    That should give you what you're expecting. Good luck...

    Bill

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    Re: chart problem

    most school books would show resitance vs lengh
    I think they should use the XY chart but with the length (second data set)as
    the x axis and the resistance (first data set) as the Y axis

  4. #4
    geepeetee
    Guest

    Re: chart problem

    Hi

    Thanks, that worked a treat. Just one last thing, we need a "line of best
    fit" which a straight line which goes through as many points a possible.

    I have drawn this on and its fine but wondered if there is a way of letting
    the software do it.

    Cheers
    Gary
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    geepeetee wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks, that worked a treat. Just one last thing, we need a "line of best
    > fit" which a straight line which goes through as many points a possible.
    >
    > I have drawn this on and its fine but wondered if there is a way of letting
    > the software do it.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary

    -------------------------

    Right click on the line on your chart. A menu will open which includes
    "Add Trendline". You can follow your nose through the steps then to get
    a curve fit line of various types to show up. It defaults to a straight
    line. You can also ask it to display on the chart the parameters it
    found for the line it chose -- slope and offset.

    Bill

  6. #6

    geepeetee wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks, that worked a treat. Just one last thing, we need a "line of best
    > fit" which a straight line which goes through as many points a possible.
    >
    > I have drawn this on and its fine but wondered if there is a way of letting
    > the software do it.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary
    > "geepeetee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    At risk of nit picking -- a line of best fit does not go through as many
    points as possible. It is a line which minimizes an error function of
    some kind. Most commonly it is an LSQ line -- a "Least Squares" fit.
    You square the error at each data point, sum all the errors and try to
    minimize that function with the generated line. It may well not
    actually go through a single point even.

    Bill