How to reset Excel 2000 toolbars to "factory defaults"?

  1. #1

    How to reset Excel 2000 toolbars to "factory defaults"?

    I messed up my toolbars in Excel 2000. How can I reset them to the
    factory defaults? I'm not talking about going to Tools/Customize and
    resetting each toolbar. That doesn't tell me which toolbars ARE the
    defaults. Isn't there a way to put everything back without reinstalling
    Office 2000?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: How to reset Excel 2000 toolbars to "factory defaults"?

    Hi

    Try to rename your .xlb file

    maybe you have a corrupt or bloated xlb file
    *normal* size is < 30 kb.
    The .xlb file has all Toolbar customization in it.

    Close Excel
    Do a search for .xlb in windows
    Rename the file you find (mine is named Excel10.xlb in 2002)
    Start Excel

    Deleting the file or renaming will do no harm on your system
    Excel will create a new one for you.
    (You lost your customization remember that)

    If you make your own toolbars or add buttons to the others
    This file is important (backup it so you can restore it)

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to reset Excel 2000 toolbars to "factory defaults"?

    Rather than re-setting all Toolbars individually...........

    Toolbar and Menu customizations and changes are stored in a file named
    Excel9.XLB for 2000 version.

    Do a file search for it.

    Usually stored in

    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

    With Excel closed rename Excel9.xlb to Excel9.old

    Re-start Excel and you will get factory defaults.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4

    Ron de Bruin wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Try to rename your .xlb file
    >
    > maybe you have a corrupt or bloated xlb file
    > *normal* size is < 30 kb.
    > The .xlb file has all Toolbar customization in it.
    >
    > Close Excel
    > Do a search for .xlb in windows
    > Rename the file you find (mine is named Excel10.xlb in 2002)
    > Start Excel

    That's just what I was looking for, thanks!