sorting dilema

  1. #1
    Bobbie
    Guest

    sorting dilema

    I'm trying to sort a worksheet by part numbers. The problem is some part
    numbers have a letter at the end, such as 'U' for unstamped, and those sort
    totally separate from the orginal part number. Any way around this? Here's
    an example to clarify.
    Part #s sort this way
    000004R
    000110U
    304114U

    I'd like them to sort
    000004
    000004R
    000110
    000110U
    304114
    304114U

    The cells are Text format so the leading zeros are displayed.

    Thanks in advance
    Bobbie

  2. #2
    akk
    Guest

    sorting dilema

    Hi

    you get this problem while sorting only if some of the
    cells are in number format and others in text format. If
    all the cells sorted are in text format, sorting produces
    the results as desired by you.

  3. #3
    Bobbie
    Guest

    Re: sorting dilema

    Great! I'll change it tomorrow when I'm at work. It seems like the 000004R
    and 000110U would have to be Text already or the leading zeros wouldn't
    display but from what you say I'll bet they're not. Will be interesting to
    see what format they are before I change them over.

    Thanks for the fix!
    Bobbie

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: sorting dilema

    Bobbie

    If the cells with numbers only are not formatted to Custom 000000 then they
    would also be text and your sort should work.

    In Excel 2002 with all cells as text, when I click on Sort>Column A>Ascending,
    I am given the choice of "sort anything that looks like a number, as a number"
    and "sort text and numbers separately".

    Select the second option and you get a sort as you wish.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP