count cells that begin with specific text

  1. #1
    mmer at steelcase
    Guest

    count cells that begin with specific text

    in excel how do I count cells that begin with specific text. Ex: in a
    column with 100 entries, I want to count the number of cells that have the
    letters "app" from the word approved as the first three characters in the cell

  2. #2
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: count cells that begin with specific text

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A100)="app"))

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: count cells that begin with specific text

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"app*")

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    mmer at steelcase
    Guest

    RE: count cells that begin with specific text

    this didn't work for me. do the 2 dashes in front of LEFT mean something

  5. #5
    mmer at steelcase
    Guest

    Re: count cells that begin with specific text

    this works since I am looking for the beginning of the text. I thought I
    would need to do something with LEFT function. this solution is simpler.
    thank you

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: count cells that begin with specific text

    "mmer at steelcase" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > this didn't work for me. do the 2 dashes in front of LEFT mean something

    See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html for a detailed
    explanation.

  7. #7
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: count cells that begin with specific text

    At first glance, I thought that would work. However, I noticed in your reply
    that the ,3 was left out of the left function. If you don't specify the
    number of characters to return, left defaults to 1 (if I am not mistaken.)

    The -- coerces logical values (true or false) to numbers. As true evaluates
    to 1 (and false to 0) -true = -1 (and -false = -0, which of course is 0.)
    Applying the negative again changes the -1 to positive 1 and the -0 to 0.

    So, although I didn't test it, I would guess if you put ,3 after the 100 in
    the formula, it may return the correct result.

    BTW, I just checked with false in a cell, D2, and -D2 returned 0 (not -0)
    fwiw.

    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  8. #8
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: count cells that begin with specific text

    oops, you are absolutely right. Try this.

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A100,3)="app"))

    sorry.

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: count cells that begin with specific text

    "Kevin Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BTW, I just checked with false in a cell, D2, and -D2 returned 0 (not -0)
    > fwiw.

    That is because 0 is neither negative nor positive, so you cannot have -0.
    Negative and positive is defined in relation to 0.

  10. #10
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: count cells that begin with specific text

    Yeah, I should have gone back and rephrased the part where I was talking
    about that. My bad.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn