conditional format for text

  1. #1
    Todd
    Guest

    conditional format for text

    I am trying to write a conditional format to check a line of text. I have

    =IF(COUNTIF(A4,"*docs\budget*")<>1)

    to check if the words docs\budget are in a line of text and this is not
    working.

    Here is an example of the text.
    Y:\auto\224\712\5225\01\docs\budget

    Where did I go wrong?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    looks fine, make sure you have the true,false part at the end or else it'll say you've entered too few arguments

  3. #3
    Tom Hutchins
    Guest

    RE: conditional format for text

    You don't need the IF. Try

    =COUNTIF(A4,"*docs\budget*")<>1

    Hope this helps,

    hutch

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: conditional format for text

    For conditional formatting, try the following...

    Select A4

    Format > Conditional Formatting > Formula Is

    Enter the following formula:

    =SEARCH("docs/budget",A4)

    Choose your formatting

    Click Ok