automatically updating summary worksheet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    srpettew
    Guest

    automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi,

    I have several tabs (worksheets) representing purchases for a specific year.
    There is one tab (worksheet) that is a Summary of all purchases for all
    years. How do I get Excel to automatically update the Summary worksheet
    anytime one of the other worksheets are modified?

  2. #2
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi srpettew,

    Assuming you summary sheet has formulae linking to the others, the data
    should update automatically anytime the worksheet re-calculates.

    Cheers

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    srpettew
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi macropod,

    I'm trying to figure out how to do this (formula linking to others).

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Well, at it's simplest:
    ..Select the target cell (i.e. the one on your Summary sheet you want to have
    updated automatically),
    .. press the '=' sign
    .. select the source cell
    .. press <Enter>
    Now the two are linked and the value on the Summary sheet should update
    whenever the source cell is updated. In essence, the procedure is the same
    as you might use with the mouse to reference another cell on the same
    worksheet - the only significant difference is that you're selecting another
    worksheet's tab along the way.

  5. #5
    srpettew
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    I have a running tally on a summary sheet. I don't want to lose those
    numbers. If I make the specific cell equal to another cell in another
    workbook, it will change my summary. All I really want to do is add the
    summary workbook cell with any updates made in the current year workbook.
    For example, if the total number of licenses for a product is 7 (summary),
    and I purchase 2 more licenses this year, I want the summary to now show 9.
    Does this make sense?

    Thanks,
    SP

  6. #6
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi srpettew,

    OK, so you have a 'current year *workbook*' which, if I understand you
    correctly, has 'a running tally on a summary sheet'. I assume that's not the
    same *worksheet* that has the licence data, since your original post said
    you 'have several tabs (worksheets) representing purchases for a specific
    year'. In that case, a solution along the lines I proposed will work - I
    didn't mention anything about linking to another *workbook* - though you
    could do that too if there was a case for doing so.

    So, what exactly do you want to appear in your summary:
    - the sum of all cells in a specified location; or
    - the sum of all cells in a specified column,
    on all worksheets? Something else?