automatically updating summary worksheet

  1. #1
    srpettew
    Guest

    automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi,

    I have several tabs (worksheets) representing purchases for a specific year.
    There is one tab (worksheet) that is a Summary of all purchases for all
    years. How do I get Excel to automatically update the Summary worksheet
    anytime one of the other worksheets are modified?

  2. #2
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi srpettew,

    Assuming you summary sheet has formulae linking to the others, the data
    should update automatically anytime the worksheet re-calculates.

    Cheers

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    srpettew
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi macropod,

    I'm trying to figure out how to do this (formula linking to others).

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Well, at it's simplest:
    ..Select the target cell (i.e. the one on your Summary sheet you want to have
    updated automatically),
    .. press the '=' sign
    .. select the source cell
    .. press <Enter>
    Now the two are linked and the value on the Summary sheet should update
    whenever the source cell is updated. In essence, the procedure is the same
    as you might use with the mouse to reference another cell on the same
    worksheet - the only significant difference is that you're selecting another
    worksheet's tab along the way.

  5. #5
    srpettew
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    I have a running tally on a summary sheet. I don't want to lose those
    numbers. If I make the specific cell equal to another cell in another
    workbook, it will change my summary. All I really want to do is add the
    summary workbook cell with any updates made in the current year workbook.
    For example, if the total number of licenses for a product is 7 (summary),
    and I purchase 2 more licenses this year, I want the summary to now show 9.
    Does this make sense?

    Thanks,
    SP

  6. #6
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi srpettew,

    OK, so you have a 'current year *workbook*' which, if I understand you
    correctly, has 'a running tally on a summary sheet'. I assume that's not the
    same *worksheet* that has the licence data, since your original post said
    you 'have several tabs (worksheets) representing purchases for a specific
    year'. In that case, a solution along the lines I proposed will work - I
    didn't mention anything about linking to another *workbook* - though you
    could do that too if there was a case for doing so.

    So, what exactly do you want to appear in your summary:
    - the sum of all cells in a specified location; or
    - the sum of all cells in a specified column,
    on all worksheets? Something else?

  7. #7
    srpettew
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi Macropod,

    I think I've figured out what I need to do, and there is no easy way to go
    about it. Yes, I have multiple worksheets with a list of purchased licenses
    for a specific year. Problem is, the rows are all different because
    different licenses were purchased each year, so the cells won't match up. I
    think I just need to go in the summary sheet and reference the specific cell
    on each sheet. A couple of them have over 400, so this should be fun!

    Thank you for your responses. They are appreciated.

    SP

  8. #8
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi srpettew,

    Ah, but if they're all in the same column, it's pretty straightforward. For
    example, say your source values are in column A on Sheet 2:
    =SUM(Sheet2!A:A)
    Even if sheet2 has a column total, it's no harder than:
    =SUM(Sheet2!A:A)/2
    and spanning multiple worksheets is just a small step from there. For
    example, say your source values are in column A on Sheets 2 to 6:
    =SUM(Sheet2:Sheet6!A:A)
    to get the total of sheets2 and 6, plus any whose tabs are between them!
    And, by extension if all the sheets a column total, it's no harder than:
    =SUM(Sheet2:Sheet6!A:A)/2

    If your sheets have sub-totals, but you've also got text that uniquely
    identifies the sheet total (eg 'Total') in column A and the values in Column
    B, you could use something like:
    =SUMIF(Sheet2!A:A,"Total",Sheet2!B:B)
    or, for multiple sheets:
    =SUMIF(Sheet2!A:A,"Total",Sheet2!B:B)+SUMIF(Sheet3!A:A,"Total",Sheet3!B:B)+S
    UMIF(Sheet4!A:A,"Total",Sheet4!B:B)+SUMIF(Sheet5!A:A,"Total",Sheet5!B:B)+SUM
    IF(Sheet6!A:A,"Total",Sheet6!B:B)

    If you data are organised across rows instead of down columns, just use row
    ranges instead.

  9. #9
    srpettew
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Well, my problem is like this. I have software titles in Column A and then
    columns B-M represent each month of the year. So if an Adobe Acrobat 7.0
    license was purchased in March of a particular year, then column D would have
    a "1" for whatever row Adobe Acrobat 7.0 is on. The problem is that Adobe
    Acrobat 7.0 will not show up on certain worksheets because it did not exist.
    So the rows will not match up on the worksheets. This is why I have to treat
    every cell individually on the summary sheet.

    Thanks again,
    SP

  10. #10
    macropod
    Guest

    Re: automatically updating summary worksheet

    Hi,

    In that case you could use something like:
    =SUMIF(Sheet2!A:A,"Adobe Acrobat 7.0",Sheet2!B:B)
    The lack of an ,"Adobe Acrobat 7.0" entry on some sheets won't matter -
    those sheets will simply return '0'.