Excel formula that sums if meets two requirements.

  1. #1
    JDub
    Guest

    Excel formula that sums if meets two requirements.

    I am trying to set up a personal budget. I want the budget to sum the
    amounts for a certain type of expense, say groceries, that lie within a
    certain time period, say the entire month of August. I have tried using
    VLOOKUP, but it only looks up one value and will not sum them. I'm not sure
    if I need to use array formulas, DFunctions, or if I should be using another
    program such as access.

    Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel formula that sums if meets two requirements.

    Hi!

    Assume:

    A1:A100 are dates
    B1:B100 are expense types
    C1:C100 are expense debits

    Enter your desired date range in 2 cells:

    D1 = 8/1/2005
    D2 = 8/31/2005

    Enter the desired expense type in a cell:

    E1 = groceries

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100>=D1),--(A1:A100<=D2),--(B1:B100=E1),C1:C100)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Excel formula that sums if meets two requirements.

    Hi,

    You may also try this array formula solution (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    =sum(if((range1=expense type)*(range2>=min date)*(range2<=max date),sum
    range))

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur

  4. #4
    JDub
    Guest

    RE: Excel formula that sums if meets two requirements.

    Thanks!!

  5. #5
    JDub