How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    I have an existing worksheet with over 50,000 rows and 15 columns. Several
    columns have information in all uppercase. I need to convert these words
    into proper case. The information given in Excel Help only gives information
    about changing individual cells. Does anyone have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    I would suggest using a helper column

    if one of the columns with all capitals were column C
    in a helper column row 1 enter
    =proper(c1)
    copy down to the end of your data.
    copy the helper column and paste special values over your column C
    do this for each of the columns with all caps.

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    Check out

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#proper

  4. #4
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    If you want to manually select the cells to change, then you can run
    this macro on the selected cells:

    For Each c In Selection.Cells
    c.Value = StrConv(c.Value, vbProperCase)
    Next c

    If you want to automatically have the entire database changed then,
    with your cell pointer anywhere within the database, use this instead:

    Selection.CurrentRegion.Select

  5. #5
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    Actually, you can simplify that 2nd macro I gave you as follows:

    For Each c In Selection.CurrentRegion.Cells

  6. #6
    Karen
    Guest

    RE: How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    I appreciate all the helpful information, but I hate to say I am an Excel
    novice and unfamiliar with simple things such as "helper column" and "macro".
    What I need is a very simple step by step direction in how to complete this
    task. Sorry I am such a klutz, but thanks ahead of time for your help.

  7. #7
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    For anyone who may have read my responses above, David Ritchie was kind
    enough to point out to me a very dangerous and potentially disastrous
    result of my solutions in that my code would inadvertantly (and
    unknowingly to the user) change formulas to values.

    David's web site shows the proper code for Upper Case, Lower Case and
    Proper case. As noted by JE McGimpsey above, go to
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#proper

    To Karen - in Excel, a macro is the implementation of VBA code which
    one creates in the VB Editor, usually within a Module (but also within
    Sheet or ThisWorkbook). Giving you proper instructions on how to do
    that here would be quite lengthy. Perhaps doing a search in the Excel
    news group or getting a beginner's book (such as "VBA for Dummies")
    might be helpful.

  8. #8
    Paul D. Simon
    Guest

    Re: How do I change uppercase to proper case in entire worksheet?

    Karen,

    I just found an excellent introduction to macros on David Ritchie's web
    site that I believe will be very helpful to you. Go to