Count occurances in range of cells

  1. #1
    Ed Gregory
    Guest

    Count occurances in range of cells

    Hello,

    I have a range of cells that have multiple values separated by commas. What
    I need to do is count the occurrences of a value in a range of cells.

    Example:
    Cell: A1
    Value: win2k,winxp,win2003,win98

    Cell: A2
    Value: winxp,win2003

    Cells A3-100
    Value: <same type of format as above>

    I need formula that will get number of occurances of "winxp" in each cell in
    the range. A cell can have multiple values separated by commas and could,
    but shouldn't have duplicate values in cell. I have tried countif with a
    wildcard but that only works if search value is first value in cell.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest