Currency Conversion

  1. #1
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Currency Conversion

    Is it the amount that you are referring to that needs to be converted? If so
    put the conversion rate in a cell, then copy that cell.

    Select all your amounts, then Edit>Pastespecial and click Multiply.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Heather
    Guest

    Re: Currency Conversion

    Is there a way to do this so that when you are adding up different
    cells, it does not apply the currency converstion to them, or would u
    have to do it section by section?

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Currency Conversion

    Heather,

    If you want to keep the original currency and convert the sum, just use

    =SUM(A1:A100)*the_rate

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Heather
    Guest

    Re: Currency Conversion

    What my co-working is trying to do is convert a whole budget
    spreadsheet into a new currency. The formulas and solutions you have
    given me so far are working but what they want to know is if they can
    just highlight all the number columns and do the copy, pastespecial
    solution - when theydo this, it does convert everything but any
    summations or anything like that, gets converted twice because they are
    adding up the column that is already converted and then converting that
    answer - so its actually getting converted twice! Any ideas, or is this
    just not possible -- I don't think it is.

    thanks for all your help thus far.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Currency Conversion

    Heather,

    It seems to me that just do one or the other, convert the raw data or
    convert the sum.

  6. #6
    Andy Wiggins
    Guest

    Re: Currency Conversion

    Here's an approach:
    1) Create a copy of the sheet from which you want the currency conversion.
    2) In a convenient place in that sheet, put the coversion rate (and name it
    "ConRate")
    3) (Now the hard work) In the new sheet, go to each input cell and change it
    so it multiplies the cell in the original sheet by the conversion rate e.g.
    for the cell C4 you might insert the formula "=OriginalSheet!C4*ConRate"
    4) Test your work by using a ConRate of 1
    5) Now, whenever there's a change in the currency values you can update your
    results.
    --
    Andy Wiggins FCCA
    www.BygSoftware.com