Search for specific words

  1. #1
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: Search for specific words

    Try

    =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1),"A","")

    change SEARCH to FIND to make it case sensitive.

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Newberry
    Guest

    Re: Search for specific words

    Dave,
    thanks for taking the time to reply.
    When I enter your formula I get an error, I think one of the closing
    brackets is missing from the formula but I'm not able to correct it.
    Newberry

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Newberry
    Guest

    Re: Search for specific words

    Following up my previous post, the following works for me,
    =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1)),"A","").
    I added a second close bracket after the cell reference
    Newberry

    "Newberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave,
    > thanks for taking the time to reply.
    > When I enter your formula I get an error, I think one of the closing
    > brackets is missing from the formula but I'm not able to correct it.
    > Newberry
    >
    > "Dave R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    >> Try
    >>
    >> =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1),"A","")
    >>
    >> change SEARCH to FIND to make it case sensitive.
    >>

    >> "Newberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> I have imported data from a database.
    >>> One column contains comments which might include words such as:-
    >>> store
    >>> compound

  4. #4
    Dave R.

  5. #5
    Newberry

  6. #6
    Newberry
    Guest

    Re: Search for specific words

    Following up my previous post, the following works for me,
    =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1)),"A","").
    I added a second close bracket after the cell reference
    Newberry

    "Newberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave,
    > thanks for taking the time to reply.
    > When I enter your formula I get an error, I think one of the closing
    > brackets is missing from the formula but I'm not able to correct it.
    > Newberry
    >
    > "Dave R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    >> Try
    >>
    >> =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1),"A","")
    >>
    >> change SEARCH to FIND to make it case sensitive.
    >>

    >> "Newberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> I have imported data from a database.
    >>> One column contains comments which might include words such as:-
    >>> store
    >>> compound

  7. #7
    Newberry
    Guest

    Search for specific words

  8. #8
    Dave R.

  9. #9
    Newberry

  10. #10
    Newberry
    Guest

    Re: Search for specific words

    Following up my previous post, the following works for me,
    =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1)),"A","").
    I added a second close bracket after the cell reference
    Newberry

    "Newberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave,
    > thanks for taking the time to reply.
    > When I enter your formula I get an error, I think one of the closing
    > brackets is missing from the formula but I'm not able to correct it.
    > Newberry
    >
    > "Dave R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    >> Try
    >>
    >> =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("store",A1),"A","")
    >>
    >> change SEARCH to FIND to make it case sensitive.
    >>

    >> "Newberry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> I have imported data from a database.
    >>> One column contains comments which might include words such as:-
    >>> store
    >>> compound