simple formula

  1. #1
    Shooter
    Guest

    simple formula

    I am using 3 columns as follows:

    C D
    1 Budget Actual
    Variance
    3,000

    I input values into cells C and D. Column D(Variance) is simply C-D. In some
    cases the cells in column D will be blank. I would like to write a simple
    formula in column E that will give me the value of C-D and will prevent a
    #Value error message if there is no value in C or D.

    Thanks for your help.

    Shooter

  2. #2
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: simple formula

    You shouldn't be getting a VALUE message simply trying to add or subtract
    from cells that may be blank. But

    =IF(AND(ISBLANK(C1),ISBLANK(D1)),"",C1-D1)

    is an example of how to choose whether or not to proceed with a calculation.

    You can change AND to OR if you don't want any calculation done unless both
    C1 and D1 aren't blank.

    news:[email protected]...