+ Reply to Thread

Data search / filter all worksheets

Data search / filter all worksheets

Does anyone know if it's possible to search / filter more than 1 worksheet at a time? I have a workbook that contains 12 worksheets and if I looking for say, a clients name in all the worksheets right now the only way I can find / filter that clients name is by filtering each worksheet.

Thanks, Airpix

Forum Contributor
    hi,

this code will ask you for the name you want to search on then stop at every occurance of that name
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    steve

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by airpix
    Does anyone know if it's possible to search / filter more than 1 worksheet at a time? I have a workbook that contains 12 worksheets and if I looking for say, a clients name in all the worksheets right now the only way I can find / filter that clients name is by filtering each worksheet.

Thanks, Airpix

There's quite a difference in the literal Excel meaning between "search" & "filter". Steve's gone for the search approach via a macro & my below macro approach focuses on the use of the autofilter tool. However, it is possible that you don't need either of these approaches...?

Try pressing [ctrl + F], typing in the client name, clicking Options to expand the dialogbox, change "Within" from sheet to Workbook & "lookin" to values, and then clicking Find All.
    In my version of Excel (2003) this brings up a hyperlinked list of all the cells (+ the sheet it is on etc) within the workbook that contain (or equal, depending on what option you ticked) your search value. The Find box can then be resized as needed to show some of the current sheet as well as what is in the dialog box.
    Is this all you need?

Or you may like Tushtar's FindAll function:
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/findall.html

If not, the below is a possible macro which will filter a set column (the same for every sheet) for a user specified value or if the input is left blank it will filter the same column of every sheet for the value of the active cell.
    Note: this currently relies on every sheet having an autofilter (ie dropdown arrows, but not necessarily with anything filtered). It was going to be a simpler macro but I got carried away (as you may see by the size & the slightly random swapping between If Statements & Select Case statements)!

hth
    Rob
    Rob Brockett
    Kiwi in the UK
    Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

Thanks Steve & Rob, I think this will do the trick.

Airpix

This works great for finding all entries of a specific client. Now that I have that info, shown in the find box, is there some way to copy all the entries and maybe paste into a new worksheet so I can total the columns?

Thanks, Airpix

"Try pressing [ctrl + F], typing in the client name, clicking Options to expand the dialogbox, change "Within" from sheet to Workbook & "lookin" to values, and then clicking Find All.
    Is this all you need"

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    hi Airpix,

Sorry for the delay in responding - I hope you have a bit of time to read this novel...!

This works great for finding all entries of a specific client. Now that I have that info, shown in the find box, is there some way to copy all the entries and maybe paste into a new worksheet so I can total the columns?
    It would seem that if you are able to take data from each sheet & paste it into a new one for subtotaling etc that our macros may be complete overkill. I don't know the layout of your workbook but I'm curious, why do you have separate sheets?
    Is there too much data for a single sheet?
    I suggest that you copy all the data onto a single sheet so it becomes a "database" with one set of headers. If there is a specific reason why they were on different sheets this could be listed in a new column to the right of the data. Once you have a "database' you could:
    a) create a Pivot table on a separate sheet & use this for subtotals etc. Check out Debra's Pivot Table pages listed on her index page http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    starting with http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html

b) Apply an autofilter to your database, insert a couple of blank rows at the top and put subtotals at the top of each of the required columns (this means that they stay visible when filters are applied). Filter the client column for the required client & print out the sheet or paste the visible cells to a new sheet if needed.

I think Steve's macro is quite close to being able to copy the info into a new sheet for you but he'll probably be able to modify it quicker than I can.
    Instead I've made a macro that uses Tushar's function, if you copy his function into a module & then copy the below macro as well you should be able to use the below macro:

Steve,
    Your code seems to have potential but Tushar's is pretty darn polished so hopefully the above helps the op.
    *One technique I've seen for shortening code is to identify any repeated steps, split them into a separate macro/function (whichever's more appropriate) & then call it from the main macro. I think you could probably do this with some of the repetitions of the below code:
    *The below one confuses me a little, doesn't the first line of code mean that there will always be an Intersection between the two ranges (if there is a selection to start with)?

hth
    Rob
    Last edited by broro183; 02-01-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Still trying

I am trying for something similar to the first author. I would like to search multiple worksheets for a string input by the user, then copy the row associated with any found cell to a new worksheet.

Steve's program above is working very well for me. When I try to splice a piece of code though from another code that was successfully copying a row (with a determined variable present) to a new sheet, I am getting a syntax error of some sort.

I've added the copy-paste portion of code where I thought it should go, about 3/4 through Steve's code, without effecting any part of the program success until I choose 'yes, the one I'm looking for', then a "Run-time error '13' Type Mismatch".

This is the code where I'm at. Have you gentle-persons got a bit more insight for me? The spliced code is blue, the error line is red.

(If a scratch answer is easier than fixing my error, then my objective is to have a search box come up, any row corresponding on any worksheet to the input variable copied to the last worksheet. Actually, a drop-down box to select a variable would be even better than a search box.).

Yours Truly,
    Bill Rudd

Sub SearchForString()

Dim ThisAddress$, Found, FirstAddress
    Dim Lost$, N&, NextSheet&
    Dim CurrentArea As Range, SelectedRegion As Range
    Dim Reply As VbMsgBoxResult
    Dim FirstSheet As Worksheet
    Dim Ws As Worksheet
    Dim Wks As Worksheet
    Dim Sht As Worksheet

Set FirstSheet = ActiveSheet '< bookmark start sheet
    Lost = InputBox(prompt:="Type in the book details you are looking for!", _
    Title:=" Find what?", Default:="*")
    If Lost = Empty Then End
    For Each Ws In Worksheets
    Ws.Select
    With ActiveSheet.Cells
    Set FirstAddress = .Find(What:=Lost, LookIn:=xlValues)
    If FirstAddress Is Nothing Then '< blank sheet
    GoTo NextSheet
    End If
    FirstAddress.Select

With Selection
    Set Found = .Find(What:=Lost, LookIn:=xlValues)
    If Not Found Is Nothing Then
    FirstAddress = Found.Address

End If
    End With
    Selection.Copy

Reply = MsgBox("Is this the " & Lost & " you're looking for?", _
    vbQuestion + vbYesNoCancel)

Do

Set Found = .FindNext(Found)
    Loop While Not Found Is Nothing And Found. _
    Address <> FirstAddress
    End If

Set FirstAddress = .Find(What:=Lost, LookIn:=xlValues)
    If Reply = vbCancel Then End

If Reply = vbYes Then

'inserted copy text here

'LOSING IT HERE AT 'LOST'
    'Select row in Sheet1 to copy

Rows(CStr(LSearchRow) & ":" & CStr(LSearchRow)).Select
    Selection.Copy

'Paste row into Sheet2 in next row
    Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Rows(CStr(LCopyToRow) & ":" & CStr(LCopyToRow)).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

GoTo Finish:
    End If

ThisAddress = FirstAddress.Address
    Set CurrentArea = Selection
    Do
    If Intersect(CurrentArea, Selection) Is Nothing Then

With Selection
    Do

Loop While Not Found Is Nothing And Found. _
    Address <> FirstAddress
    End If
    End With
    Selection.Copy

' Range("h1").Select
    ' ActiveSheet.Paste

Reply = MsgBox("Is this the " & Lost & " you're looking for?", _
    vbQuestion + vbYesNoCancel, "Current Region")

End If

Set FirstAddress = .Find(What:=Lost, _
    LookIn:=xlValues)
    If Reply = vbCancel Then End
    If Reply = vbYes Then

GoTo Finish:
    End If
    End If
    If CurrentArea Is Nothing Then
    Set CurrentArea = Selection
    Else
    Set CurrentArea = Union(CurrentArea, Selection)
    End If
    Set FirstAddress = .FindNext(FirstAddress)
    FirstAddress.Select
    Loop While Not FirstAddress Is Nothing And FirstAddress. _
    Address <> ThisAddress
    End With
    NextSheet:
    Next Ws
    Finish:
    If Reply = vbYes Then
    Exit Sub
    Else
    FirstSheet.Select
    MsgBox "Search Completed - Sorry, no more " & Lost & "s", _
    vbInformation, "No Region Selected"
    End If

End Sub

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    hi Bill,

The two variables (LSearchRow & LCopyToRow) in your spliced code are not defined anywhere in the code that you have included. Fix this & your problems may be solved...

hth
    Rob

Hi Rob

Hi Rob, thanks!

I am really, really new at this.

Is a 'Dim' line at the top used to define 'LSearchRow & LCopyToRow'?

Steve's code at the top is allowing me to find each user-input string. Really what I think I want to do is to replace (LSearchRow) with whatever Steve has as holding the value of the string, then I hope the program will copy the row associated with the found cell.

Whoo, sorry, really new at this.

Yours Truly,
    Bill

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    gidday Bill,

(If a scratch answer is easier than fixing my error, then my objective is to have a search box come up, any row corresponding on any worksheet to the input variable copied to the last worksheet. Actually, a drop-down box to select a variable would be even better than a search box.).
    I haven't spent the time to get a complete understanding of how Steve's macro works so I would recommend using the code that I included in the earlier post (http://excelforum.com/showpost.php?p...64&postcount=6) which requires the use of http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/findall.html.
    This doesn't have a dropdown box currently but could be modified if you want.

Anyway, to partially answer your questions...

Is a 'Dim' line at the top used to define 'LSearchRow & LCopyToRow'?
    The dim lines are used to "declare" your variables (eg dim LSearchRow as Long). nb: dim is short for "dimension" which was the term historically used & is good programming practice (although it is only mandatory if you have "option explicit" at the top of your module - also good programming practice). The defintion of the variables occurs on a line of code where you make them equal to a value (eg
    )

hth
    Rob

yeah!

This is great, it's working! Thank you for the help!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information