100% cpu usage

  1. #1
    bill
    Guest

    100% cpu usage

    hi,

    i havve a excel soread sheet that takes aroun 10 mins to open. The spread
    sheet is 4mb in size. I notice in the task manager that excel is consuming
    100% cpu usage while this spread sheet is opening.

    Any ideas on what may be causing this would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Gizmo63
    Guest

    RE: 100% cpu usage

    Hi Bill,

    A few options to check for:
    1. Does the spreadsheet contain links to many outside files?
    If it does you should get a faster opening by setting your calculation to
    'manual' before opening this sheet. Then open the linked files before
    switching cal to auto.
    I've also found that having another user in one of the linked files will
    slow things down a lot.
    2. Is it being opened on top of many other excel files?
    Try opening it on it's own.
    3. Does it contain a vast number of lookups?
    4. Is your p.c. short of real or virtual memory?

    These are a few ideas but it's a process of elimination. There will probably
    be another 'poster' with a load more ideas but without seeing the sheet it's
    difficult to say.
    4mb is not big by any means so I'm in line with the pc or links options.
    Unless of course your company server is on a go slow!

    hth

    Giz